Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Some thoughts on listening to The Rising

"the sky is still that same unbelievable blue..."

Will you ever forget what that looked like?

Bruce Springsteen has been with me through many of the most painful and difficult, as well as bittersweet and beautiful, times of my life. Since I was a feshman in college, for decades, like an old friend I never met Bruce has been there to help me find my way. From the irresistable attractions of freedom, girls and cars, to the painful paradoxes of hardship and cruelty in the land of plenty, to the agonizing marathon of trying to sustain love and keep true to yourself, to growing older and facing changes you haven't chosen, to the spectacular horrors and routine heroism of 9-11 and Iraq, Bruce was always there before me, thinking his way through some of the hardest and most wonderful parts of this life. There are lots of musicians and storytellers that I can appreciate on one level or another, but Bruce keeps on telling the story of my life before I even realize what it is. And on top of all that, he fucking rocks. PAF is not generally given to hero worship; but if I could choose someone to buy a beer and say thanks for making my life a little clearer, a little better: Bruce.