Friday, May 18, 2007

PAF mourns the passing of Jerry Falwell

Because who else would look at an event like 9-11 and immediately think: it's the gays and secularists and feminists who are responsible.

Ok, ok, there are probably millions of Battle-bots for Jesus who believe stuff like that. But Jerry went on TV and told them what to think while the buildings were still smoldering. Because in the midst of tragedy and despair, when people are searching for hope and meaning, you just can't have enough misogyny, homophobia and bigotry. Yep, Jerry was special.




The San Francisco Chronicle has a retrospective of memorable Falwell quotes, among which one of my favorites is this:

"You know when I see somebody burning the flag, I'm a Baptist preacher I'm not a Mennonite, I feel it's my obligation to whip him. In the name of the Lord, of course. I feel it's my obligation to whip him, and if I can't do it then I look up some of my athletes to help me. But, as long as at 72 I can handle most of the jobs I do it myself, and I don't think it's un-spiritual. When I, when I, when I hear somebody talking about our military and ridiculing and saying terrible things about our President, I'm thinking you know just a little bit of that and I believe the Lord would forgive me if I popped him."


Bullies for Jesus.